Subject Re: [firebird-support] Comments in Firebird
Author Tim Ledgerwood
At 02:15 PM 14/07/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi Thim,
>
> > Is there any way of adding comments that will be stored with the metadata?
>
>Yes, most objects (tables, views, columns, procedure, procedure-parameters,
>exceptions, indices) support comments via a column RDB$DESCRIPTION
>in the system tables.
>
>Most developer tools allow you to enter a description - Database Workbench
>does as well - and there are a couple of other (free?) tools to show/print
>these descriptions. Check www.ibphoenix.com for a list.
>

>With regards,
>
>Martijn Tonies

Hi Martijn,

Yep - checked, and can see where and how to add comments to tables etc. But
the one thing I can't add comments to is the DB metatdata. I.e., the
database itself seems to not have a comments field / record.

This may sound petty - but I have a situation where I would like to add the
versions of the two software products that use the db to the metatdata, as
well as the metedata version itself. Then the engineers who are installing
or upgrading the software would be able to see the versions simply by
viewing the db metatdata in IBOConsole or similar.

Thanks anyway,

Tim