Subject Re: [firebird-support] Linux versions supported?
Author Doug Chamberlin
At 7/14/2003 05:14 AM (Monday), Phil Shrimpton wrote:
>Personally, whilst I can understand the problem with Kylix (being a closed
>source product from a company with a major lack of resources), I am not sure
>I understand fully the reasons behind the FB1.5 situation.

I guess I picked the wrong time to start looking into Linux + Firebird +
Kylix. Or, perhaps there will never be a good time!

This is a dismal situation, exacerbated by the fact that when it comes to
Linux I am a lowly user and do NOT want to get involved with
recompiling/linking applications in order to use them. If the situation
requires compiling from source then that is de facto evidence that the
situation is too immature for me. Sure, I could do it, but why would I ever
want to open that can of worms?

It looks like the problem of Linux compatibility with Kylix and Firebird
must be tackled separately. I am likely to install a two-version solution
as Helen has done. However, I have to wait for my VMWare purchase to
complete before even starting that.

Mostly, I'm concerned about the upcoming Linux 2.6 release and what will
work with it. That is the actual release I am most likely to use long term.
Ideally if Firebird and Kylix come together to work well on that I will be
happy. So, from my viewpoint there is still time to fix the situation.

Let's stay on top of this issue, folks. Anyone having any news or success
with specific combinations of software, please share it right away!