Subject Re: What's the best Linux to install Firebird
Author darryl_caillouet
--- In ib-support@yahoogroups.com, "antonio_mejia_weir"
<antonio.mejia@n...> wrote:
> I've used Firebird in Windows platforms and I would like to know the
> advantages to have Firebird installed on a Linux machine and which
> Linux flavor is best for it (I haven't used Linux before). I hope you
> can share your experience.

Most Linux users have a favorite distro. I've used several but my two
favorites are SuSE and Debian. Because I access my Linux boxes
remotely via telnet a lot, I like distributions that are easy to
configure and patch without a GUI. "Yast" and "apt" are two such
utilities. I'm currently running Firebird on two SuSE 8.x boxes and
haven't had a single problem in months with either the OS or the
database. Both were very easy to set up.

I run Firebird on my Windows laptop for developing and prototyping. I
run my production boxes on Linux. The database works great on both.
The advantages I see to Linux is it's very reliable and has a very
attractive $0 licensing cost.

If you haven't used Linux before, it can take some effort to become
proficient at it, but it is worth it. I'm a recent convert and the
more I use it, the more I like it.

Just my $0.02