Subject RE: [ib-support] Firebird, Stored Procedures, and BLOB parameters
Author Alan McDonald
I'm worried too if I've been doing the wrong thing.. but I think that after
5 years with no unpredicatble results, I need some more convincing that I'm
doing something wrong.
One proviso... I am only using this method by way of ASP web pages over
ODBC/ADO connection methods. I construct a parameter variable list and
assign request.form("values") to each parameter before, finally, a
cmd.Execute ,, adCmdStoredProc
command.
In fact, it was the only way I could ever make it work from web pages since
construction of INSERT/UPDATE commands where one or more "values" are blobs
(i.e. very long strings) was never working. You cannot insert/update a
string into a blob field as in
update tablename set myblobfield='this is blob text' where recno=3;

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerome Bouvattier [mailto:JBouvattier@...]
Sent: Tuesday, 25 March 2003 9:19 PM
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ib-support] Firebird, Stored Procedures, and BLOB
parameters

Alan,

> Jerome,
> I read with interest, these postings you quote...
> the example shown, which rightly will have unpredicatble results, declares
> the BLOB input parameters without the SUB_TYPE 1 SEGMENT SIZE 80
> subclause. (or SUB_TYPE 0 meaning binary).

Actually, I did declare the param w/o the SUB_TYPE and SEGMENT SIZE. So,
maybe you've just given me the solution. I'll try to check that on the setup
I experienced this "INVALID BLOB ID" error, but it's old now and I'm not
sure I can get my hand on it.

Still, I worry a bit because the thread I quoted isn't the only one where
the unpredictable nature of BLOB params in SPs is stressed...

Regards.

--
Jerome