Subject RE: [ib-support] General Multi-User Architecture Question
Author Alan McDonald
I remember that the first win3.11 network setup I used maintained one copy
of win3.11 on the server and all users would run this single copy (less
client configs on the client side). So the setup is not impossible. But I
agree it is not my norm nor is it the norm recommended to me.
When I did my first C/S application, cached updates were the only way to go,
everyone saying that it was imperative to keep network traffic to a minimum.
On the other hand we have Jason Wharton (IBObjects components for IB) who
has always, in my memory, argued that cached updates are not good
architecture especially where a decent LAN infrastructure is available
because there is a far more important need to keep transaction turning over
and work constantly committing. I agree with this philosophy and use his
components to this end.

If the application were parcelled up into small modules and the initial
exectuable were small and use of other modules was infrequent, then I might
(only might) be tempted into this setup. A 6.5Mb exectuable is, as you say,
quite large to have to transfer everytime someon starts their application.
If they close and reopen thru the day, then the LAN will suffer as well as
each user from unwarranted traffic. Remember a trasnfer of this type is not
throttled so the LAN would need to be faultlessly 100Mbits/s to perform
without frustration in the first instance. On the other hand, it may make
updating the application easier and faster for the developer.

Bottom line: I would question the setup you have been given, and listen to
the arguments presented for it, then test the application startup and any
impact on your network as a result.

Alan