Subject Re: [ib-support] Firebird VARCHAR size
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:37 PM 10/03/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm having trouble finding docs for Firebird additions and changes to
>Interbase. Does anyone know where I can find the maximum size of a
>VARCHAR?

It depends on the number of bytes per character of your character set.

From the IB 6 documentation...

"To determine the maximum number of characters allowed in the data definition
statement of any multi-byte column, look up the number of bytes per
character in Appendix A. Then divide 32,767 (the internal byte storage
limit for any character datatype) by the number of bytes for each
character. Two-byte character sets have a character limit of 16,383 per
field, and a three-byte character set has a limit of 10,922 characters per
field."

To find out about Firebird changes, keep the release notes by you as an
addendum. If you are using a beta, add the WhatsNew.txt to your armoury.

heLen