Subject Re: [ib-support] Firebird 1.0.2 from Delphi 5,6
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:39 PM 6/03/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>I 've installed Firebird 1.0.2 and tried to create an alias from BDE using
>'INTERBASE' as driver name and looking to a Firebird database that already
>existed.
>When I try to open the Open the database from a Delphi program using a
>'TDatabase' component having the alias I set previously with BDE
>adminstrator I get
>the message 'Can't load an IDAPI service library. File SQLINT32.DLL'.

If it is a Dialect 3 Firebird database, there is no BDE driver in Delphi 5E
that will work with it. Additionally, it is the wrong BDE version.

With Delphi 6, Borland announced that BDE support for client/server
databases was discontinued. Delphi 6 E has a combination (BDE 5.2 and a
newer SQLLinks driver) that "sort of" works with dialect 3, but does not
properly support the newer on-disk formats for numbers. For
client/server, Borland replaced the BDE with DBExpress.

In other words, don't plan to use the BDE with Firebird. If you want a
lightweight generic interface for Firebird, a beta DBExpress driver is
available from www.upscene.com. Otherwise, go with one of the
direct-to-API connectivity suites, as recommended by others.

>P.S I use Delphi 5 Enterprise. Note that the Firebird database opens
>successfuly from within IBOConsole tool.

The IBOConsole tool doesn't use the BDE. It uses IB Objects.

Borland's own InterBase console tool, IBConsole, uses Borland's own
direct-to-API components, InterBaseExpress (IBX). IBX should also be
considered deprecated with regard to further releases of Firebird.

heLen