Subject Re: [ib-support] EXTERNAL tables for logging
Author Paul Reeves
Anderson Farias wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to hear from you some thoughts (pros. and cons.) on using EXTERNAL
> tables for database logging (I'm planning to have triggers to LOG user
> activity on insert/update/delete of records).

You need to remember that external tables are not under transaction
control. Sometimes that is a good thing - debugging stored procedures,
for instance. Other times - like actually logging committed changes -
this is less than useful. You have no way of logging whether a change
was committed or rolled back. Again, this _may_ be a useful feature, but
generally it isn't.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves