Subject Re: [ib-support] GBAK question
Author Woody (TMW)
> At 02:43 PM 28/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >The garbage collection is only done on source database, the gbak file
will
> >never containt 'garbage' records.
> >Sometimes I find that the quickest way to garbage collect is to shutdown
> >single user mode, back up with out garbage collection, then restore and
> >restart the database.
>
> Amen to that. One retail installation I've had contact with couldn't do
it
> any other way. The application software is so bad that with gc on, backup
> of even their typically small databases takes more than a night. If it is
> run with users in session, everything virtually stops. So they gbak with
> the -g switch, do a restore, fire up the restored database and, if all is
> well, yesterday's database goes to heaven. (Not that I recommend this as
> an exemplary design precept.. <g>)

The obvious drawback to this type of scenario is that the operating system
must constantly ask for more disk space for new/modified records since there
is no reusable space in the database after a restore. For most setups, this
is probably of no concern, but, IMO, it would depend on the workings of the
application(s) using the database. Just thought I'd mention it just to be
different. <g>

Woody (TMW)

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
-Steve Wozniak