Subject RE: [ib-support] Test for NULL in Blob
Author Alan McDonald
have you tried "comments is not null" ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Nilsson-Harding <nilsson@...>
[mailto:nilsson@...]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 February 2003 9:40 AM
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ib-support] Test for NULL in Blob

Hi there,

I have a little bit of a baffling problem.
It's stumped me.

I have a field COMMENTS which is a blob, of text sub-type.
In a query, I want to receive all the records which have data in
this field. So I used:

SELECT COMMENTS
FROM STOCK
WHERE NOT COMMENTS IS NULL

This did not work, so I gathered there was some type of quirk with
null's & blob's. Then I tried:

SELECT COMMENTS
FROM STOCK
WHERE NOT COMMENTS = ''

This did work, for a while, but now does not. Now, I'm sure it's not
broken ;) just something I am missing, but my questions are:

Why can a blob field not be tested for NULL, or if it can, how can I
do it.
If it can't, then why can I not test for an empty string?

Rgds,
-Ryan