Subject Re: [ib-support] Massive INSERT test
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 12:36 PM 2/11/2003 +0000, arbitragex <arbitragex@...> wrote:

>First let's note that I restarted the test after a few 100K rows and
>emptied the table.
>
>Adding 10,000 records took 34 seconds at first.
>
>After emptying the table it took 50 seconds. I read some place that
>it was more efficient for FireBird to reuse allocated disk space than
>allocate new space. I cannot confirm it with my setup.

On question is how you emptied the table. If you're running
single user, the procedure is first to delete all the rows,
then commit, then count the rows, then commit then begin
inserting again. If you're running multi-user, you must wait
until all concurrent transactions have committed before
counting the records to force garbage collection.

What happens if you commit (not commit retaining, but actually
commit) every 10,000 records?

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com