Subject Re: [ib-support] New feature
Author Bianconi
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your answer...
I'm new on client/server development, but, i hope this feature will be a good feature to FireBird.

Gustavo.
-------

Suggestion 01 ->
Allow Client application uses an alias to database location, exactly BDE (Borland database Engine) does.
In server side, we'll make the setup to alias name and database path location.
With this feature, we get :
1. Easyer to install the client application. The client application only known an alias to database access.
2. Allow move the database location without need setup all client application. Alias name and database location is set on server side.
Suggeston 02 ->
Allow multiple database access in SQL statement, with multiple servers too.

Example :
Client Information is on Sales department, on Sales Server.
Product Information is on Stock Building, on Stock Server.

|-----------| Lan/Wan/Internet |-----------|
| SalesSrv | <---------------------->| StockSrv |
|-----------| |-----------|
| |
| |
|L |L
|A |A
|N |N
| |
| |
|-----------| |-----------|
| ClientA | | ClientB |
|-----------| |-----------|

If it's possible to use servername and aliasname on SQL statement, we get :
1. ClientA, on sales department can access Data on Stock server on the fly.
2. ClientB, on Stock Departemnt, can access data on Sales Server on the fly.
3. We can use multiple database query easyer.

Sql Statement example :

ClientA : SELECT
ItemId, ItemName
FROM
<StockSrv>/<aliasName>/ItemTbl as ItemTbl
ORDER BY
ItemTbl.ItemName

ClientB : SELECT
OrderId, CliName
FROM
<SalesSrv>/<aliasName>/OrderTbl as OrdrTbl
ORDER BY
OrderTbl.CliName

ClientA & ClientB
SELECT
OrderTbl.OrderNum,
OrderTbl.CliName,
ItemTbl.ItemName
FROM
<SalesSrv>/<aliasName>/OrderTbl as OrderTbl,
<StockSrv>/<aliasName>/ItemTbl as ItemTbl
GROUP BY
OrderTbl.OrderNum
ORDER BY
OrderTbl.OrderNum