Subject Re: [firebird-support] Lock Errors
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:27 AM 5/12/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Sandeep,
>

> > I'm getting following error
> >
> > ISC error code: 335544344
> > ISC error message: I/O error for file d:\vl2\data\cfldata.gdb
> > Error while trying to write to file
> > The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a
> > portion of the file.
>
>Are you using embedded Firebird 1.5 and try to connect twice? You can't.

If not using Embedded, but Server + Client, then you are seeing the
built-in protection that Firebird has against the "bad connection string"
bug that plagues InterBase.

Check the Path component of the connection strings involved. If one client
attaches using correct path syntax, e.g. d:\vl2\data\cfldata.gdb, and
another tries to attach using e.g. d:vl2\data\cfldata.gdb then it won't be
able to. Same story if the first connection used the second path syntax -
it will cause attachments with correct path strings to be blocked.

Tip: I've discovered the bad string often shows up in carelessly
configured BDE aliases or ODBC datasources.

heLen