Subject Re: [firebird-support] Re: gstat checksum?
Author Ann Harrison

Alexander V.Nevsky wrote:

> David, checksum is unused artifact, can't recall exactly, but seems
>from times of IB3. It is filled with 12345 since those times.

Originally pages had a checksum computed immediately before they were
written and checked immediately after they were read. That turned out
to use a lot of CPU time (10% in one application if I remember) and
found no bad page writes in five years. V4 removed the checksum and put
12345 in its place - happens to be ascii 90. From time to time, I've
been able to unscramble a database by finding the 12345's.

Cheers,

Ann