Subject RE: [ib-support] Updating a database schema on a client site
Author Alan McDonald
If you use IBExpert to further develop your database, you can log all
changes to a script file. When you want to release your new client, you run
the script first. I'm sure other tools do the same. That's what I do, it's
pretty painless.

Alan
-----Original Message-----
From: Tickerboo Support [mailto:support@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 September 2002 18:37
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ib-support] Updating a database schema on a client site

Hello

I'm developing an application and a client is currently running the beta
(alpha) release. In the meantime, I'm continuing to develop the
applciation
and (slightly) changing the database structure. What's the best way off
making those database changes to the client's database whilst retaining
their data?

I've thought of comparing the two database structures and creating an SQL
script containing a lot of ALTER statements (time consuming) or writing an
application to extract their current data and pump it into a new database.
Can any of these two options be automated?

I would have thought that this is a common problem, what's the standard
answer? ;-)

Thanks

David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor