Subject Re: [ib-support] Numeric, Decimal, Double Precision and Float data types. What and when to use?
Author Paul Reeves
Theo Bebekis wrote:

> Also...
> I see that MASTSQL database, provided with some of Delphi's demo apps,
> uses DOUBLE PRECISION for ORDERNO and CUSTNO
> of the ORDERS table to name a few cases.
>
> Is that a wise decision? Why not just INTEGER?
> Usually that kind of fields are of the INTEGER type, or not?

Yes - these columns should be integer. I suspect that the person who
ported MASTSQL probably took something like the Borland datapump, ran
some paradox tables through it and generated an InterBase database. You
can imagine they then stood back and said 'Look - it's that easy!'

Think of it this way - Borland's examples of C/S database programming
are so bad that they have been responsible for creating a small industry
of consultants who earn a living explaining how things should be done.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves
http://www.ibphoenix.com