Subject Re: [ib-support] large deletions
Author Raul Chirea
Hi _Helen_,

From: "Helen Borrie" <helebor@...>

> > create view ... as select * from THAT_TABLE where ACTIVE = 'Y';
> >
> >selecting from that view shoud be fast enough because the count of the
> >"active rows" it will be small.
>
> Why add the overhead of a view, when the direct SQL has exactly the same
> output?

That's exactly what I would said if I wasn't so laisy !
:-)

> I'm the one-L Helen but it wasn't I who said that. As for maximum rows
per

Yes, I observed the confusion I've made ! Sorry ! It was Ann !

> I'm the one-L Helen

Again, excuse me for the misspell ! I'm deeply sory !
I'm new to the list and untill I'll get acustomed with the persons ...

> db; and frequent small delete batches are a lot more hygienic that
> apocalyptic purges.

I, absolutelly, agree with this !
But I presented just an option in this case. Jason is the one who needs to
choose between the options ! Imagine a case when the "very-large-table" is
referenced by a foreign key and one cannot delete those rows at all, or when
one needs them for historycal purposes. And, apropos, if those rows have
such a short life, why to put them in a database, anyway (you can take this
as a joke, but in some cases it may be a question to be asked ;-) ?

Raul.

Xnet scaneaza automat toate mesajele impotriva virusilor folosind RAV AntiVirus.
Xnet automatically scans all messages for viruses using RAV AntiVirus.

Nota: RAV AntiVirus poate sa nu detecteze toti virusii noi sau toate variantele lor. Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti fisiere atasate si ca MobiFon nu este responsabila pentru nici un prejudiciu cauzat de virusi.
Disclaimer: RAV AntiVirus may not be able to detect all new viruses and variants. Please be aware that there is a risk involved whenever opening e-mail attachments to your computer and that MobiFon is not responsible for any damages caused by viruses.