Subject Re: [ib-support] FB1 Version Number ?
Author Claudio Valderrama C.
""Tony Whyman"" <tony.whyman@...> wrote in message
news:NFBBIIJGMLAKJPFEALJIGEBADMAA.tony.whyman@......
> Paul,
>
> Did you know that fbudf.dll does not have any version information in it
all?
> Was this intentional?

Yes, it's intentional.

Fbudf is somewhat orthogonal to the rest of the development, same than the
ODBC drivers and the JDBC driver maintained by members of the JBoss project.

Fbudf required changes to the engine's internals and to make it easier to
use, it requires more changes to the UDF handling mechanism than I couldn't
afford to do in FB v1. I originally wanted to create a new project for
fbudf, but Paul Beach arguments were:
- it's a thing intrinsically ligated to FB. Several of the entry points
don't work with IB.
- it's not an independent library. It's not mean to be used by your
programs. It's meant to be loaded by the engine. It's different than a tool.
- it's small and (until now) only one person (me) worked on it.

Now, on integration: FB1 is pure C, no surprise. Fbudf is C++, with some
overkill C++ techniques to its small size. It can't be integrated directly
in the build process. I put some *nix code as placeholder, but since I
couldn't persuade anyone to try to finish it to run into other platforms, it
remained as a Win32 artifact.

C.
--
Claudio Valderrama C. - http://www.cvalde.com - http://www.firebirdSql.org