Subject RE: [ib-support] All about different connection strings? An update
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:40 PM 06-11-02 +0100, you wrote:

>As I conclusion one could say. Please correct me if I'm wrong ;-).
>
>- If Firebird *let* you connect, then regarding different connection strings,
>no corruption will happen.
>
>- InterBase only corrupt the database if the path to the database and not
>the entirely *connection string* is different. Your above example will
>corrupt the database, but mixing local with remote connections using
>exactly the same database path will not.

Correct.
But (just to throw another spanner in the works) there was a thread for a
while that seemed to indicate that you could get corruption with IB 6 if
you made both a local and a localhost connection on the same machine. I
thrashed that scenario pretty hard with Firebird and couldn't break my
database - in fact it is a very typical setup for me during development -
application and IB_SQL both connected through localhost while running gbak
locally; or IB_SQL connected locally and application connected thru
localhost - so I don't know whether that is proven one way or the other for
IB 6...

Oh...and currently there seems to be a problem for Firebird as well as IB 6
on Linux with the bad connection string bug too - previously it was thought
that the bug only affected connections to a Windows server. I think it is
being addressed for the forthcoming FB 1.1 patch release.

(This thread could go on and on...)
:-)
H.

Helen