Subject RE: [ib-support] Re: New Firebird Release 1.0.0 Beta2 Available
Author Lee Brown
This is exactly the reason why Linux is going to be slow taking off.
Remember the article about Intel Itanium and how Linux got there first, etc.
Well as this post demonstrates, most people aren't going to bother with the hassle required to get it there until the OS vendors make it happen.
Of most particular interest to me was the comment about losing all the customizations by installing a new version of an OS. That seems like another trap that'll make people wary of using Linux for some things. "Yes I want a free OS, but I have to add stuff to the kernel for some things, what an upgrade headache." Packages are making it easier, but are still not consistent across different Linux implementations which I would image will make the vendors loath to write half a dozen install scripts that all have to be kept in sync not only with each other, but also with the different versions of the different linux variants. One application could easily have 10 install scripts. Yet again, what a headache.

It'll get there eventually, I think most people are thinking that Linux is a mature system (which in some respects it is, but in others it is waaay behind.) Windows has helped move the development community forward in different ways -- definitely geared toward a user-friendly experience. Linux on the other hand has helped push the Open Source initiative - great for developers on the leading edge, but at the expense of the end-user I think.

Regards,
Lee Brown
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Schmidt [mailto:paul@...]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 12:44
To: ib-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [ib-support] Re: New Firebird Release 1.0.0 Beta2 Available

Sean:

On 23 Aug 2001, at 8:15, Leyne, Sean wrote:

> Alexander,
>
> > Does it mean I must to keep myself from joining large splitted
> > database into one file on Red Hat 6.2 just now?
>
> Yes!
>
> In fact with Red Hat 6.2, you won't *ever* be able to use the 64bit
> I/O support.
>

> Both the OS and the filing systems don't support for large files.

RH 6.2 and 64bit, it needs a compatible kernel, the standard one may
be too old, probably best to go to one of the kernel sites and get
the 2.4 kernel tarball. Follow the included directions exactly, it
may suggest updating glibc or the compiler to a newer one, trust the
directions, and make the updates. Then go to www.namesys.com and get
the latest rieserfs patches, and apply those. This should give him
the ability to create a 64bit file system, then try it and see if it
works, let the rest of us know.

It's not impossible, it's just harder to do, it's possible to take a
Slackware 1.0 installation from 1994, and by continually updating
bits and pieces since then, have a very modern and usable system.
Some of those updates would be rather nasty (the conversion from
a.out to elf comes to mind, because it meant updating libraries that
were in use).

Installing a new version, in fact is often harder to do, because all
the nice little customizations you have done to the old system get
lost.

Paul

Paul Schmidt,
Tricat Technologies