Subject Re: [ib-support] A Newbie Question
Author Ivan Prenosil
Simple answer is that isc4.gdb (common to all databases on the server)
contains only username/encrypted-password pairs.
All other is specific to each database (i.e. rights granted to users,
rights granted to roles, roles granted to users, database owner, table owner, ...)

The only way how to "switch" to specific role is to specify it during login.
IB does not implement SET ROLE command (from standard SQL)
to change role after login.

> 2. How can I ascertain the role immedietly after logging in so that I
> can make certain menu items invisible?

Because _you_ (your application, user) must specify role during login,
you know what the role is.

Or another possibility is to not use roles at all (grant all required rights directly to users),
and create table with list of users and informations needed to change menu items visibility.

Ivan
prenosil@...
http://www.volny.cz/iprenosil/interbase