Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: A Newbie Question
Author Helen Borrie
At 12:41 PM 20-08-01 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Doug,
>
>Thanks for response.
>A quick question, in another newsgroup I asked a very similar
>question as I like to get different answers from different angles.
>
>On another group I was told that roles are saved in specific database
>for that database whereas users are server wide.

That is correct. Roles are stored inside a database in a system table named RDB$ROLES.

>This makes sense to
>me as different databases may share users on a server, but certain
>roles that are assumed by a user will only affect the database in
>which those roles have been defined. Is this correct?

Yes. The way it works is the SYSDBA or someone with SYSDBA rights uses CREATE ROLE to create the role in the database. Once a role exists, privileges can be granted to it. Then the role can be granted to a user, who inherits all the privileges granted to the that role.

rgds
Helen

All for Open and Open for All