Subject Re: [ib-support] --* Please Help*--- Database corruption and cannot backup & restore
Author Helen Borrie
At 02:40 PM 07-08-01 -0700, you wrote:
> > If IB Objects can fix it... why doesn't GDS32.dll refuse to use the bad
> > string??
>
>This I have to agree with . Also, does anyone know whether or not this
>problem occurs using BDE? I use BDE with my app, and have never had this
>problem, but now I'm getting worried about it.

You are right to be worried about it if your applications have not been built with a recent version of IB Objects or if multiple users have interactive access to your database through any tool that connects using any means other than those recent IBO components.

You should check the BDE alias setup on every client installation and in every part of your application. If your BDE application lets users enter the path in the login dialog, then fix it so that they can only use an alias to connect.

For a historical perspective on the problem, it was first reported in mid-1999 by Jason Wharton and applies to all versions of InterBase. Somehow it got overlooked in the confusion of the original closed IB 6 development and has resurfaced several times since. It has been an open topic of discussion in Firebird all along but didn't actually get onto the bug list until I put it there last February. I think it was around about that time that Jason put the rejection code into his TIB_Connection component.

In the meantime there has been a lot of discussion in IB-Architect about a better way to implement connection so that deployed applications don't have to rely on a hard path string to connect. Several aliasing schemes have been discussed. The question of *whether* it will be fixed in Firebird is not moot; it's a question how and when.

You'll realise that any solution implemented in Firebird will immediately make Firebird's version of the client libraries incompatible with Borland's InterBase server versions. While maintaining a stance of non-cooperation with the open source developer community, Borland's Interbase support personnel continue to offer up this potential incompatibility as a reason to avoid Firebird. Go figure.

If you are constrained to use the BDE or IBX and a commercial version of IB (4.x, 5.x or 6.x) I don't see a solution in sight for you.

Regards,
Helen

All for Open and Open for All