Subject RE: [ib-support] --* Please Help*--- Database corruption and cann ot backup & restore
Author Lee Brown
PMFJI,

A really simple solutions (translate -- really simple reasons why it won't work) could be:

The clients don't specify a physical file on the server, but an alias (additional method to retain back-compatible)

The server maintains a list of aliases which can be queried by the clients. Only administrator can update alias list.

This way, unless the administrator creates two separate aliases pointing to the same file in the (bad) way described in this thread, it is not possible for the clients to specify anything that is not under server control.

Also makes moving databases around client independant too!

Regards,
Lee Brown
-----Original Message-----
From: Leyne, Sean [mailto:InterbaseSupport@...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 16:46
To: 'ib-support@yahoogroups.com'
Subject: RE: [ib-support] --* Please Help*--- Database corruption and cann ot backup & restore

Colin,

The local GDS32.DLL has no way of knowing what the full path should be,
it is possible for the server to be completely hidden from the client
(safe providing port 3050 TCP access). So the problem is a server
problem, not a client problem.

> It seems (from my untrained, unknowing eye) that this is an extremely
> simple problem, which is extremely easy to introduce, which also has
> extremely nasty outcomes...

All very, very true!

> This must surly be considered a MAJOR bug which should
> receive very high
> priority... If any old user can corrupt a client server
> database just by
> using the wrong correction string on a client... Isn't that a MAJOR
> problem???

Yes, it is considered a major bug.

But the solution isn't that cut and dry -- it has to do with the order
in which the database open operations take place.

There has been some work within the Firebird project on developing a
fix, I'll get back to you with a status update in the next day or two.

Sean