Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: Slow first 'Query'
Author Phil Shrimpton
On Wednesday 01 August 2001 00:52, you wrote:

Hi,

> I'm confused! I thought you said that you were running on a machine
> with 32mb of RAM?

I tried it on a 32Mb machine and the disk went crazy during the 'first
query', but with no network traffic. On the 'real' machine, there seams to
be very little disk access.

> WRT the cache allocation, yes, I would suspect that the cache is not
> allocated until the database is opened --the first connection is opened.

It must be something else then as 'connection' happens very quickly, but the
the first thing you do takes forever, after that everything is fine. I have
tried in on another setup (SS on W2K) and it is the same as my machine (CS on
Linux).

It is not that bigger issue, but as it happens on every database on every
setup I have done, I am just interested in what its doing, and if I am
missing a config setting somewhere?

Cheers

Phil

--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
1:53am up 20 days, 23:36, 1 user, load average: 2.74, 1.23, 0.79