Subject Re: [ib-support] Can't Connect to Firebird Server on NT
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:33 PM 04-05-01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>ibserver.exe 29/12/00 on Windows NT4
>
>I'm just checking out Firebird (currently using Adaptive Server Anywhere).
>It runs as a local server fine but I can't get a connection as a remote
>server from a client.
>IB Console Diagnose Connection gives the following...
>
>Attempting connection to Tv_data.
>Socket for connection obtained.
>
>Failed to connect to host 'Tv_data',
>on port gds_db. Error Num: 10035.
>
>and sometimes Error Num: 10061, which according to the docs can be to do
>with licensing.

Not in Firebird it aint. :)

Check whether the client machine's HOSTS file has an entry for the server, viz., my NT workstation client sees the Linux ibserver as

10.10.0.2 coolduck #firebird server

Also...
make sure you have TCP/IP at the top of your client machine's protocol stack (delete netbeui and ipx/sx if you aren't using them)

use the correct syntax for the connection string, viz.

coolduck:d:\databases\sensational.gdb

I don't know ASA but does it do something screwy with directory paths?
d:\ must be a physically defined drive on the server machine (logical drive OK).
don't try to connect to a mapped drive

Cheers,
H.

All for Open and Open for All