Subject Re: Again: can't install fdb
Author skoczian
--- In firebird-python@yahoogroups.com, Philippe Makowski wrote:

> skoczian [2013-01-06 12:26] :
> > So what could be wrong this time?
> >
> obviously firebird.dll is not found

Yes, but why? The Firebird bin directory is in the path (and it's the first entry there), _and_ the dll is in \windows\system32. Instclient.exe puts it there with the name all uppercase ("FBCLIENT.DLL"), but that shouldn't matter with Windows, should it?

> what is the result of :
>
> from ctypes import *
> from ctypes.util import find_library
>
> fb_library_name = find_library('fbclient')

at this point fb_library_name is None:

>>> from ctypes import *
>>> from ctypes.util import find_library
>>> fb_library_name = find_library('fbclient')
>>> fb_library_name
>>> print(fb_library_name)
None

> fb_library = WinDLL(fb_library_name)

Same error message as in my first post:

>>> fb_library = WinDLL(fb_library_name)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File " ", line 1, in
File "C:\Python33\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 353, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
TypeError: bad argument type for built-in operation

> as a bad hack , you can after line 41 in ibase.py put something to load
> fbclient with the full path like you did in your tests

As a last resort I'll try that. Or use py-firebirdsql which doesn't need fbclient. But that won't work with SQLAlchemy, will it?

Thank you,
Sibylle