Subject Re: [firebird-php] Delphi for PHP?
Author Yves Glodt
On Thursday 22 February 2007 16:31, Deian Popov wrote:
> Delphi has interbase database components and of course connectivity to
> interbase/firebird.

True.

But the only Delphi part of "Delphi for PHP" is the name...

The database connection in "delphi for php" is done by adodb, a php native
database abstraction layer (in no way related to the way delphi connects to a
DB... don't forget you are running in the context of a webserver, most
probably on unix/linux, and not in a win32 app.)

On a personal note, I am skeptical about web developments IDEs in general...
There have been other tentatives like this one (morfik anyone?), mostly loved
by CIOs (now we have an IDE! now finally we can create everything!), or
wannabe webdevelopers who are reluctant to learn xhtml and css.

But so far I have never seen more than demo applications created by such IDEs.

A good debugger is certainly welcomed.

I just can't get rid of the feeling that these IDEs look good (mosty to PHBs
or managers), but scare webdevelopers who know xthml/css and who are used to
code in an editor.
Because writing bare php/html/css/javascript is the only way there is no
limitation in what you can do...

Using a template engine, and or a javascript framework (prototype e.g.) makes
a lot of sense IMHO

IDEs make some people think they can create web-applications without having a
clue about webserver, principles of how web works (stateless).
Isn't that also why we have so many poorly written (or clicked) visual basic
and delphi apps?

I wait for the day doctors will make surgery without knowing about the guts...

just my 2 cents...

have a nice day,
yves