Subject RE: [firebird-php] SPs Docs
Author Alan McDonald
How far away from your DB server is your PHP page being executed? If it's
close by e.g. the next box on a 100Mbit line, then it's instantaeous. I even
have websites executing in Brisbane and DB servers in Sydney. They are only
just noticeably slower.
Alan
-----Original Message-----
From: Nigel Weeks [mailto:nweeks@...]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 3:48 PM
To: firebird-php@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [firebird-php] SPs Docs

Yeah, I'm just realising this...

Back when I started with PHP and Firebird (0.9 ish), connects and prepares
took ages.
So the process of:
prepare a query to retrieve a generator value
run the query
get the value
prepare a query to insert a record with the new value
run the query
wasn't very appealing, as it took a while.
They were the old days. The wire protocol has improved(compression on
varchars), and things are much quicker now...

The method of using a single call to a SP, and getting the ID back in one
go
was very attractive.
I'll try the 'Recommended by the Elite' method of obtaining a value from a
generator, then inserting.

Thanks all!

Nige.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor