Subject Denied connections due to character set
Author William L. Thomson Jr.
Last time I was on the list was in 2008. I am pretty displeased at the
circumstances that are forcing me to re-subscribe. I have already opened a bug
on this issue.

I first noticed this issue/change with jaybird 3.x. I am VERY displeased that
it has been back ported to 2.2.12, essentially breaking jaybird for existing

I am VERY upset over this, as I have NEVER had an update of Jaybird break
existing applications. Nor have I ever had any issues connecting to database.
No matter what I set, where how etc. I CANNOT connect to my databases using
jaybird 2.2.12 or any 3.x version.

This need to be fixed immediately! It is one thing to make such major change
for 3.x. That should never have been done to 2.x. There should be CLEAR
documentation that works. I have messed around for HOURS trying all sorts of
methods and NONE work.

When I get past the connection issue, I run into other issues with the
character set not matching that of my database. I have NEVER had to set a
character set, nor had any problems in over a decade of usage. This is
completely unacceptable to be making such a change and breaking existing

Really never seen a change like that frustrate me so much. I have spent WAY to
much time trying to get something to work. That used to work just fine. That
should work per various attempts, but does not.

There is no clear documentation or steps. Which clearly shows that someone is
ASSUMING how to get past this issue. Even the error output is EXTREMELY vague.
I have tried every method and NO difference.

java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: Connection rejected: No
connection character set specified (property lc_ctype, encoding, charSet or
localEncoding). Please specify a connection character set (eg property
charSet=utf-8) or consult the Jaybird documentation for more information

Ridiculous!!!!! Unacceptable!!!! Absolutely unnecessary!!!

William L. Thomson Jr.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]