Subject Re: AW: [Firebird-Java] Jaybird 2.2.5 released
Author Mark Rotteveel
On Mon, 5 May 2014 18:07:55 +0000, "Steffen Heil (Mailinglisten)"
<lists@...> wrote:
> Hi
>
> What file should I use, if I don't know in advance which java version my
> application will run on?
> I am sure, it will be either java6 or java7, but I cannot be sure.
>
> I suspect it should work, if I use the jaybird-jdk16-file, but does it
> have any disadvantage, if my code actually runs on java7?
> (My own code is currently compiled with source and target set to java6.)

The sources of the jdk6 and jkd7 version is identical (not so for jdk5 and
jdk8), so if you want to be able to run on both Java 6 and 7 you should use
the jdk6 version of Jaybird. Using the jdk7 version of Jaybird on Java 6 is
not possible, because of the class version of classes compiled with Java 7.

You could even use the jdk6 version on Java 8, but calling JDBC 4.2
specific methods not implemented in the Java 6/7 version will throw an
exception (I believe NoSuchMethodError, but I am not 100% sure).

Mark