Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Re: GDS Exception. 335544721. Unable to complete network request to host
Author Mark Rotteveel
On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:06:03 -0000, "hugo.larson" <hugo.larson@...>
wrote:
> Hello Mark,
> Sorry i missed this post.
>> virusscanner
> We have seen this problem on machines that do not have virusscanner
> installed.

It was a wild guess based on some weird behavior I saw with a SMTP client
a few years back.

>> What connection properties are you using?
> Connection properties: (problem existed before these new props)
> "connectTimeout", "3"
> "columnLabelForName", "true"
>
> I have now logging which logs every database query. No problem with
> threads that use same database connection.
>
> I have furthermore noticed this. Normally when a client cant access
> database which is a remote computer the following exception is thrown:
> com.borland.dx.dataset.DataSetException:
> GDS Exception. 335544721. Unable to complete network request to host
> "KASSA1".
>
> But I have same exception thrown on computer which try to access remote
> database but with empty host, same as localhost:
> com.borland.dx.dataset.DataSetException: GDS Exception. 335544721.
Unable
> to complete network request to host "".

The difference between having a hostname or an empty string in the message
is a result of where in the code this exception gets thrown. During
connecting and some areas where the hostname is 'known', it will include
the hostname in the exception (error code isc_network_error), in other
areas it throws the exception without including the hostname (because that
isn't known in that part of the code or one of us forgot to include it in
the exception), this results in an empty string in the error message. In a
future version I will probably change this to use a different Firebird
error code that doesn't expect the hostname (or maybe do something Jaybird
specific).

Mark