Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Java CharSet to Firebird CharSet
Author Mark Rotteveel
On 9-8-2012 19:48, Roman Rokytskyy wrote:
> I do not know about current official names of character sets, but in
> previous versions they were called differently. The windows-1252 was,
> for example, Cp1252. These values are fully mapped.

Looking at
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.3/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html and
http://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/firebird/client-java/trunk/src/resources/isc_encodings.properties?revision=57021&view=markup
it looks like Jaybird only maps the characterset names that were
supported under Java 1.3 (which is not so weird as Jaybird 2.1 still
supported JDK1.3).

Characterset support in Java received a major overhaul in Java 1.4 where
the standard IANA characterset names (
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets ) were used, with the
'old' names as an alias:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/intl/encoding.doc.html

I was actually considering to switch to the use of the Charset classes
of Java instead of using our own implementation somewhere in the future.

Fabiano, could you create a ticket, I will then see if it is easy to
include more aliases for now.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel