Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Re: Getting started with java...
Author David Johnson
On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 14:52 +0200, Roman Rokytskyy wrote:
> > I forgot to say that I think about using eclipse.
>
> Jaybird is being developed with Eclipse. For my J2EE projects though I
> use
> MyEclipseIDE plugin (commercial). However, the WTP plugins should be
> stable
> enough to be used instead of it and they are free.

Eclipse is excellent.

> > And I used hibernate before. But only in a rather simple way and in
> > web (struts) environment.
>
> So do I. Frankly I do not see advantage of using Hibernate for a
> Swing-based
> application. I do not know about any of the Swing controls that would
> be
> simpler to use with plain Java objects instead of JDBC result sets.
> Hibernate won't update your objects if their state changes in the
> database,
> you will have to re-execute query anyway.
>
> Also considering that Hibernate was designed with primary usage
> scenario on
> the server, including sophisticated transactional cache, etc. it seems
> to be
> an overkill for Swing application. But again, I never used Hibernate
> with
> Swing.

You will find the Swing components to be rather crippled after the
Delphi experience. You may want to use SWT. The programming SWT model
is similar to Swing, but the components tend to be more capable and have
the native look and feel.

> >> I have not used them.
> >
> > Did you use any other reporting components?
>
> Not for GUI applications. On the server side I have had very good
> experience
> with OpenOffice and JOOReports. We generated OOo documents in XML
> without
> OpenOffice at all, then with help of OOo we were converting them to
> RTF and
> and provided access via WebDAV. People could edit the documents as
> much as
> they liked and then press the button - documents were converted into
> PDF and
> archived.

> >> The Firebird/Jaybird do not introduce any noticable specifics into
> the
> >> Swing/Hibernate usage scenarios. You can use any example of using
> >> Swing/Hibernate you find in the internet.
> >
> > But I haven't found any good/usable/helpful ones yet :-(
>
> Neither did I, so very likely that is not very proven technology...

I don't have any examples I can lend you. My only reason for pursuing
this approach was that I wanted the business model to be transportable
to a web server environment for a future expansion. It worked well for
me, but there was a serious learning curve.

Hibernate is a replacement for EJB technology in the persistence layer
(EJB3 is largely based on Hibernate), so it should be considered
wherever EJB's are being used as a part of the persistence model.

Hibernate has a serious disadvantage IMHO: It does not use prepared
statements. Since, in many cases, 90% of the DBMS CPU time is spent in
prepare statements, this imposes serious scaling limits. You will have
to determine whether or not your environment is sufficiently demanding
that this is a concern.

Good luck!