Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Yet about (Jaybird 2.0.1 + JDBC 3.0) x 1.5.5
Author Edilmar
Roman Rokytskyy escreveu:
>> But, think about this: it's very normal in systems, not only mine but
>> also other codes I see on Internet and developers, to use many
>> Statements in the same Connection, without setting up the properties
>> ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE, ResultSet.CONCUR_READONLY and
>> ResultSet.HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT for each one. Then, imagine all these
>> people changing these millions of code. I think this is a crazy way for
>> many of them.
>
> ...as I said, I have not seen many systems that run in auto-commit mode.
> Even more, in most cases there is external transaction management and the
> Java code runs in transaction. In this case this limitation does not apply.
>
> But in order to help those that experience problems we will add the switch.
> It does not come for free - the cost is memory.

You're saying that in a new version of the driver, it will be possible
to setup HOLD_CURSORS_OVER_COMMIT by default in a connection, without to
configure each new Statement, aren't you?

And what's the real cost of memory? Because I use also other RDBMSs/JDBC
drivers and I don't experiment any problems with memory usage, either in
medium/large systems, with more than 500 (up to 1000) users
simultaneosly using a Servlet system.