Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] How to turn referential integrity checking off
Author Rick Debay
Aren't FKs checked by a hidden trigger? So I assume the trigger would
be deactivated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Starkey
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 7:47 PM
To: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Firebird-Java] How to turn referential integrity checking
off

pifproject wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Is there a way to turn referential integrity constraint checking off,
> when populating a Firebird database? I.e. is there a way not to check
> the imported and exported foreign key references between table columns

> when you write data to a Firebird database in random order?
>
> E.g. for MySQL this is possible by using the command "SET
> FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0" (executing this commantd via JDBC before writing

> the database data). But I could not find information on how one can do

> that with FirebirdSQL.

I've been pushing for this for about a year and half now. Foreign keys
are exceeding valuable semantic information about a database, but
sometimes automatic inforcement is unnecessary because well written
applications make it redundant, sometimes it's counter productive, as
when there are a huge number of duplications, and sometimes it is
catastrophic, as when a restore discovers a violation.

All these cases can be addressed by the simple expedient of declaring a
foreign key inactive. Triggers, from the afternoon when I created them,
have had the ability to be marked inactive. So should foreign key
constraints.

Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job). Welcome to the Sweet
Life.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM