Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Possible bug in Firebird 1.5.2 Classic (cross-post)
Author David Jencks
I realize I am butting my head in here where it may not be wanted and
it is possible that firebird does not behave like other relational
databases but....

The access patterns needed for most queueing systems are rather
different from what most relational databases are good at. Usually
queueing systems can keep more or less up with demand, and keep all the
messages in memory. In this case a rolling log based persistence
scheme works really well: in the "send" transaction you write the
incoming message to the log (as well as keeping it in memory) and in
the "receive" transaction you write a token indicating that the message
has been delivered. Some other thread that cleans up the log
correlates the 2 log entries and discards both. This thread only has
to actually process messages that haven't been delivered, usually a
very small fraction of the total.

You might want to look at activeMQ. It works as I described, putting
the leftover messages into long term storage, usually a relational
database. I'd be very interested to know how well it works using
firebird as the long term storage.

If your requirements don't fit jms very well, I'd be quite interested
to know how your system performs.

thanks
david jencks