Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] DB Mirror
Author Ron Wilcom
Thank you for all of the suggestions - we are weighing the different
solutions now! We really want a true shadow/mirror so gbak is obviously
not the right path (that was just a quick interim solution). We now
need to decide if we want the solution tied tightly to Firebird [Shadow]
or a more flexible (any brand) solution [C-JDBC].

Thanks all!

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Fincher [mailto:rnf@...]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 5:47 PM
To: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Firebird-Java] DB Mirror

Hi Ron,

Have you considered using shadowing? Firebird will create shadow
databases (on a different drive on the server for example) and write to
the main and shadow DB simultaneously. It can also be set to
automatically fail over to the shadow if the main DB goes offline.

From your description it sounds like you are more interested in backup
than true mirroring.

The two copies of the DB have to be on the same server but can (and
should) be on different drives.

The Operations Guide Interbase 6 manual (OpGuide.pdf) has all the
details.

Rick

rwilcom wrote:

>Anyone out there have a good suggestion for mirroring the Firbird
>database (from a Java perspective)?? Currently we are doing a
>periodic 'gbak' - but that isn't a true data mirror.
>
>Note - open source/free solutions are desired.
>
>thanks,
>
>Ron

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links