Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Re: Transaction concurrency
Author Jim Starkey
Roman Rokytskyy wrote:

>>I haven't the foggiest how to do that from Java, but the Firebird
>>transaction parameter block allows specification of "reserving"
>>tables -- w/ exclusive locks -- before starting the transaction.
>>Sounds like exactly what you need. Now, how to get at it? Roman?
>>

>We have currently no method to table reservation in JayBird, only "standard"
>params for TPB (like isc_tpb_wait, etc). Feature request for next version (I
>think I can create JayBird 1.5.6 pretty easy).
>
>But, Jim, if I understand documentation correctly, if table is not reserved
>on transaction start, the the first who modifies the table wins the lock,
>rest should wait/get exceptions. Is this correct?

No. The feature is intended to support deadlock-free transactions. The
transaction doesn't start until all write locks have been acquired. If
a deadlock occurs trying to get the locks, the locks seized are released
and the transaction manager starts over.

There is also a mode that seizes and holds table locks as the
transaction progresses. I haven't a clue what it might be called in
newspeak. It would probably suffice the stated need. It is prone to
table deadlocks, however.

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.