Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] embedding firebird in a java app on win98
Author Lester Caine
Jim Starkey wrote:

>>Is it possible to embed Firbird in a java app running on a win98
>>machine? I've read that Firebird requires winNT/winXP, but is it
>>possible to forgo a few features to get the embedded version running
>>on win98?
>>
> I think the question is not whether it runs on Win98, but whether anyone
> wants to support it there. I'm not aware of any dependencies on an NT
> derivative operating systems, and I don't anticipate any in the future.
> Vulcan, specifically, has no special dependencies that would preclude it
> from running on Win98. But that doesn't mean I have the slightest
> interest in even trying it.
>
> Why would anyone want to run Win98?

Because the bulk of slave machines on *MY* systems ARE W98 machines. I
don't want the overheads of XP and have to fight to get machines
supplied without it so that we can put clean W98SE installs on them.

On the other hand NOW may be the time to use it as an excuse to dump
Microsoft altogether and convince customers that Linux is the best
option in the future. At least the hardware would not have to change :)

Java will at least run fairly transparently between both ;)

--
Lester Caine