Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] XA protocol?
Author Jim Starkey
Roman Rokytskyy wrote:

>One of the most important parts of XA protocol is Xid - ID of the
>distributed transaction. And it seems to be required (I have to check specs)
>to be possible to suspend XA transaction from one connection, then resume it
>from another one. Firebird does not support this feature. David Jencks have
>asked long time ago to allow sharing tr_handle between connections, but
>either it is not easy to implement, or it is believed to be not important
>and nobody takes care about it.

Actually it does support this, but in a limited way. Firebird has a API
call to reconnected to a transaction from saved transaction id. The
restrictions are signficant: The transaction must be in limbo, and once
reconnected, the only options are to commit and to rollback. I believe,
however, that these are the necessary and sufficient conditions to
implement a distributed transaction manager. The functionality has been
in the product since the original alpha in 1985.

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.