Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] JDBC Secure Channel
Author Robert DiFalco
Message
Okay, I guess another solutions is to....

a.) Replace the JDBC driver's plain socket with a JSSE socket.
b.) Write a port forwarder that also has a JSSE socket on the Firebird server machine
c.) forward the info to another port that the Firebird engine listens to

Or something like that?

R.
-----Original Message-----
From: David Warnock [mailto:david@...]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 1:50 PM
To: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Firebird-Java] JDBC Secure Channel

Robert,

> Is there any way to have a secure channel (e.g. SSL) between the
> JDBC driver and the database engine? If there is no secure channel,
> isn't all data sent in the clear?

This is not so much a problem of Jaybird/JDBC but of Firebird. Basically
  I think it is correct to say that Firebird is not designed to have
port 3050 open to the public as it is not very secure (eg simple
password access to system tables).

But I believe that it is possible to use SSH tools to create a secure
channel that both Jaybird and Firebird would be unaware of.  There was
at least one discussion of this on either the support or development
list last year.

Dave
--
David Warnock, Sundayta Ltd. http://www.sundayta.com
iDocSys for Document Management. VisibleResults for Fundraising.