Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] embeded server under Linux with JayBird
Author Ryan Baldwin
Hi,

>I have just searched Firebird-Support archives and saw that
>developers claim to support CS architecture and do not support SS
>architecture
>I have found which Makefile is for this. Since only CS is available, does
>this mean that one
>Connection should be used in the entire application?

I'm afraid I counden't really say how easy it would be to get it to work
with a single embedded CS process - although it could possibly not be
difficult.

>Or if I decide to use
>another Connecton it will
>span another thread(process?).

A CS installation could still be accessed from the driver in the normal
fashion - or from type2 mode also but this would not be 'embedded' in the
sense refered too with the windows embedded server. In CS their is a process
which would accept connection request from driver and then start a seperate
process for the connection. Thinking about it an interesting idea might be
to package the code running in that process(the one accepting connection
requests from driver) so that it can be embedded in VM or maybe even create
a java version of it for a java embedded(well semi) CS ????

Myself I was going too wait and see(and hope) if an embedded SS becomes
available for over platform.

>If the 'try' does not include a lot of tampering with c++ code I will give
>it a 'try'

To 'try' to get jaybird running in type 2 mode on linux I hope will not
require modifying c++ code and only maybe changes to build_native.xml. This
can be run against existing database and is first step to being able to make
use of embedded SS for linux if/when it becomes available.

With lots of luck simply checking out latest jaybird from CVS and trying to
run the test-reports-html-native target may work. This will require that
either the environment variable JDK_HOME or the property java_home is set
though(and everything set up so test-reports-html-pure-java target works).
Otherwise this would be a good starting point and the error messages
obtained show what needs to be done.

Ryan

I have just searched Firebird-Support archives and saw that
developers claim to support CS architecture and do not support SS
architecture
I have found which Makefile is for this. Since only CS is available, does
this mean that one
Connection should be used in the entire application? Or if I decide to use
another Connecton it will
span another thread(process?).
If the 'try' does not include a lot of tampering with c++ code I will give
it a 'try'

Niki