Subject Re: Java and Embedded Firbird.
Author Aden
Does anyone know if I can create a database with the embedded Firebird?

Currently I have to create a the database beforehand using the
firebird server running on localhost and port 3050 like this:

FBManager fbManager = new FBManager();
fbManager.setServer("localhost");
fbManager.setPort(3050);
fbManager.start();
fbManager.createDatabase("C:/fbdb/mydb.gdb", "admin", "passwd");

I'd like to simply create the database like this using embedded
Firebird (I have tried this and it doesn't work…maybe I'm missing
something?):

FBManager fbManager = new FBManager();
fbManager.start();
fbManager.createDatabase("C:/fbdb/mydb.gdb", "admin", "passwd");

Is this possible?

--- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Baldwin"
<ryan.baldwin@n...> wrote:
> Hello
>
> >I have never used firebird and it has been an absolute nightmare to
> >get going. The whole concept of getting a jdbc connection without
> >actually having a database to connect to is making me go insane. With
> >Hypersonic you at least know that if the database doesn't exist the
> >jdbc drivers will create it if it can't get a connection. This isn't
> >the case with firebird is it? If it is, how come it doesn't work?
>
> If your new too firebird you may be better off getting started with
the full
> firebird server and Jaybird 1.0.1. Once you are up and running with
these
> switching to the embedded database should be fairly easy - and a
straight
> forward procedure to explain.
>
> You can download an installer for firebird at
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9028 - look
under the
> firebird-win32 heading near the bottom of the page. For 1.5 the latest
> installer seems to be Firebird-1.5.0.3744-RC4-Win32.exe.
>
> While their you can download FirebirdSQL-1.0.1.zip from under the
> firebird-jca-jdbc-driver heading. Inside this zip file is faq.html.
This is
> a good starting point for jaybird documentation. Under items 6 and
43 are
> some code examples. As far as im aware jaybird will not create a
database
> automaticly. Item 33 in the FAQ explains how to create a database via
> jaybird.
>
> Documentation for firebird is as far as im aware fairly
patchy/incomplete -

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Database/JDBCShortCo=