Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Differences between FB v2.0.x & FB v2.1.x
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:51 AM 23/04/2012, nspickles wrote:
>This may be a daft question but I have spent a good while looking around the Firebird website and I can't find an answer.

Release notes!

http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/html/rlsnotes207.html

http://www.firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/html/rlsnotes210.html

Note that the changes in 2.0.1 are folded into the 2.1 release notes, in general. The first two chapters in each case give you the summaries and the links to the detail.

>What are the major differences between FB v2.0.x and FB v2.1.5 ? Why would someone go for v2.0.x over v2.1.x or vice-versa ?
>
>I ask this because while we are currently using v2.1.4, I noted that a new version, v2.0.7, was recently released and was kind of wondering why v2.0.x was still being developed when v2.1.x seemed so similar to it.

As always, a new major release steps onward from the previous one and maintenance sub-releases have bug fixes and improvements but no new features. We continue doing maintenance sub-releases for each major release for some years. In fact, v.2.1.5 is in QA right now, even as we prepare for 2.5.2 and the 3.0 alpha.

There'd be no reason to go to 2.0.x now. V.2.0.7 is probably the last sub-release of the 2.0 series. It could be similarly argued that there'd be no strong reason to move from 1.5 to 2.1, given that the current major release, 2.5.x, is into its third round of bug fixes. We're not likely to see more than one or two sub-releases of the 2.1 series beyond 2.1.5

Helen