Subject Re: [Firebird-general] OT: QT framework v4.5 to be released under LGPL
Author marius popa
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Thomas Steinmaurer
<ts@...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> pretty off-topic here, but IMHO even interesting for Firebird users,
> because Firebird/InterBase can be accessed via the QT framework.
>
> Formerly licensed under GPL and a commercial license for closed source
> development, releasing QT under LGPL is a very "interesting" move from
> Nokia.
>
> Especially for QT-based embedded devices, Firebird might be an
> interesting option for an embeddable database, if:
>
> * there is a stable Firebird specific (not the current InterBase one,
> even if it might work now) QT SQL driver/module implementation available
> * Firebird is cross-compilable for ARM, ... (something which has been
> discussed on firebird-devel from time to time. AFAIK, there is a private
> ARM port of Firebird somewhere)

I have tested and driver seems to work (amd64), maybe later i will
check on an nokia maemo

Installing qt4.5 with Firebird support
and running the db demo (tested on ubuntu jaunty but it should work on
intrepid too)

I assume firebird2.1 installed also the devel related packages

I use the snapshot usually (I use the webkit for arora) but you can
download an more stable package from qtsoftware

http://www.qtsoftware.com/developer/preview-qt-4.5

git clone --depth 1 git://labs.trolltech.com/qt-snapshot

export PATH="/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.0/bin:$PATH"
cd qt-snapshot
git pull
ln -s /usr/lib/libfbclient.so.2.1.1 /usr/lib/libgds.so
./configure -no-accessibility -no-exceptions -no-qt3support -nomake
examples -nomake demos -plugin-sql-ibase -v
make && sudo make install

i use qt-creator to open an demo for sql

http://mapopa.blogspot.com/2009/01/qt-creator-is-now-open-source-here-is.html

open the sqlbrowser.pro from

qt-snapshot/demos/sqlbrowser

Compile it and press run

driver QIBASE
then fill the db name with
/var/lib/firebird/2.1/data/employee.fdb
username:SYSDBA
password:********

I was inspired by this thread from ubuntu forums

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6577210#post6577210

And here is the screenshot

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NXe-USYSZmU/SXRgDKJjjZI/AAAAAAAABPY/hZ7d3xpKvfg/s1600-h/qt_sql_browser.png