Subject Re: [Firebird-general] MySQL to Fight Oracle With Fire(bird)?
Author Ann W. Harrison
Dariusz Zelichowski wrote:

> 3a. The fact that he now works for MySQL is not a biggie because FB
> does not compete with MySQL
>
> 3b. See this listserv discussions on MySQL, comments from FB foundation
> members, see linuxquestions.org voting for the last 3 years, and any
> number of web sites when the two RDBMS are compared. It sure sounds
> like competition to me.

> 3a is plainly not true, no matter how you dress it up. The two
> database compete, no question about it.

As the leading proponent of the "Open source databases compete with
closed source databases, not each other", I respectfully disagree with
your conclusion. The fact that some media outlets see everything as
a horse race doesn't mean that we have to behave like horses' back
ends. We can decide how we want to behave based on what's best for
Firebird and users of data management software. Certainly comparisons
make sense - each open source database has strengths and when choosing
one for a particular purpose, knowing the differences is important.
But the fact that you can compare a Ferrari with a Russian truck doesn't
mean they compete, or that one is better than the other. If you want
to haul gravel, you choose one. If you want to attract gold-diggers,
you choose the other.

Regards,

Ann