Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: MySQL to Fight Oracle With Fire(bird)?
Author Alexandre Benson Smith
Hi Paul,

paulruizendaal wrote:
> I would not worry about all the errors in the news. Now you know what
> the quality is of each and every news report on any topic :^)

I was wondering about this these days...

> "There is no such thing as bad publicity". I think that the four
> things that people will remember from all the coverage is:
>
> 1. Jim is a brilliant database designer
> 2. He designed InterBase/Firebird
> 3. Firebird is a popular open source project
> 4. Jim works for MySQL now
>
> All true.

Yes. but if I read those articles and don't know the FB project, I will
think like this:
MySQL hire the main FB developer, now FB is a uncontrolled/abandoned
wagon. FB is hopeless without the brains that developed it, FB was a one
man shop.
> The value of all this publicity is more than the entire budget of the
> foundation, and several people in the community worked hard to get it
> this way.

This is the good news !

> As far as I can tell, Marten Mikos deliberately held up the MySQL
> press release for a week to let the linkage story sink in. We have a
> lot to be greatful for. Of course, it is not just charity, Marten
> needs the leverage in his negotiation with Oracle over InnoDB, I
> would think.

I'd like to see some clarifying news about the whole issue, so we can
get the bennefits from the propaganda around it, and the people who get
the news (as it is passed around) wrongly, could have a better
understand about FB history and future.

see you !

--
Alexandre Benson Smith