Subject RE: [Firebird-general] Confused,I feel
Author Steve Summers
This thread got me thinking. In today's "$69/gig" world, what advantage does
Firebird's small footprint continue to offer?

Answer: In Free VMWare Server Virtual machines.

Currently, a search for web hosting services that provide Firebird doesn't
return many hits. Well, that's not true- google returns "about 167,000" of
them, but not many of them are actually web hosting services that provide
firebird! But the same search using "MySQL" instead of Firebird returns 2.97
million- quite a few more. <g>

Anyway, the point is that IF Firebird's memory usage is a lot smaller than
MySQL's, then it might have a big advantage in this environment. Only
problem is, I can't find any hard data to confirm that assertion. I see
stats like "1/5 the memory footprint of MySQL" (Bill Todd's Interbase Vs.
MySQL white paper), but no actual numbers.

Does anyone with experience with both FB and MySQL in a web server
environment have any hard data on comparative memory requirements?