Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: Postgres!
Author Armando Halpern
webreyman wrote:
> I heard some of those too. Some reports say recovering from crashes is
> much harder. These are older reports though. However there are some
> real web sites running with Postgres quite reliably. Slashdot at least
> when I last checked was using Postgres.
>
> The reason I am being enamored by Postgres is my requirements for high
> level database design (less work is better). Ability to express a
> Schema with ease is more important for me (ORDMS, PL/Python) than the
> actual data I have to store in it. Transactional support, reliability,
> maintainability and deployment ease are not high on my list right now
> (I know, wierd).

From where I see things, ORDBMS is some sort of misunderstanding brought to us
by the marketing of some DBMS vendors without bringing any effective benefit to
developers. The point is: the only way to avoid redundancy in an ORDBMS is to
perform normalization inside classes - if we do so, we are sometimes destroying
the advantages of OO Design.

I don't think it makes allways sense to map a Table to a class or to create a
class for every table in a database. It is usually a nice way to waste coding
time and efficiency and this approach tends to make us forget that views are
sometimes a better place for mapping classes into.

We just need an efficient database...

Armando Halpern